Would you like free live streamed CPD to teach Computer Science
Free CPD for all Supply and Returning Teachers regardless of specialism, click here for a brief overview with links for more information. (ignore the last course Feb 2021 date).
Register your interest today to attend a short webinar on the 27th October at 9:30am and 5pm or the 28th October at 9:30am and 5pm
The government has recognised a digital skills shortage in the UK and is working with The National Centre for Computing Education investing in improving the provision of computing education.
Funded by the Department for Education through a consortium model, the Computer Science Accelerator, is designed to upskill teachers across all subjects to be able deliver KS3 and up to GSCE Computer Science as a second subject.
This programme is aimed to ensure teachers and schools provide outstanding Computer Science at every stage, with the hope that more pupils will take GCSE in Computer Science, more study Computer Science at A level, and so on.
How much does it cost?
There are no fees to pay for teachers in England who work in state-funded schools and colleges and trainee teachers, supply teachers or teachers returning to the state sector.
If you are a teacher in state-funded education, you will also be eligible to apply for bursary funding to support your learning, paid to your school or college. Deferred bursaries are also available for teachers who do not currently work in state education who meet the eligibility criteria.
How will you learn?
Scheduled live, interactive online sessions led by an experienced practitioner.
Flexible facilitator-supported, participant-led tasks, involving deep exploration of the subject content.
Who is the Computer Science Accelerator programme suitable for?
- Current or aspiring teachers of Ks3 and up to GCSE computer science, and offers support to teachers from all subject backgrounds including Supply Teachers
- All abilities, from little or no experience in teaching computer science to experienced teachers looking to deepen their subject knowledge
Benefits to Supply Teachers
- Teachers of computing can enhance subject knowledge and gain a nationally recognised certificate in only 10 hours
- Teachers of ICT can develop their knowledge of computer science
- The certificate can count towards chartered status
- Teachers from a non-computing background can add a second specialism in a shortage subject for more offers of work
- Supply teachers looking for permanent positions may stand out from the competition by offering a shortage subject
How long will the programme take to complete?
- At these 30 minute information webinars supply teachers can set up with a Stem learning account and book onto their first Free course.
- The courses are running either on a Saturday morning 9:30 to 10:30 over a period of 3 weeks or at 5pm on weekdays over a period of 4 weeks. The exact dates can be accessed here – Saturday Course and here – Weekday Course. The aim is to ensure that these courses do not clash with possible working hours for someone in a school setting.
What are the expected Outcomes of the Computer Science Accelerator Programme?
- Learn how data is inputted into a computer, how it is processed, stored and output in a useful form
- Recognise the terminology used to describe data storage and transmission, ironing out common misconceptions
- Develop a basic understanding of local and global computer networks
- Become knowledgeable and confident in using common cybersecurity terms
- Learn engaging ways to bring these topics to the classroom
Next Steps: If you are interested in taking up this valuable CPD offer you should CLICK HERE
For more information, get in touch.