Cover Supervisors are suitably trained school staff who supervise pupils, usually in Secondary Schools. They carry out pre-prepared lessons when teaching staff are on short-term absence. The Cover Supervisor’s main job is to manage the classroom, ensuring that students remain on task with the work they have been set.
The role of a Cover Supervisor varies significantly depending on the school they are placed in. A Cover Supervisor will only deliver the lesson that has been set for the class and will not be involved with planning, preparation, or assessment of learning.
Cover Supervisor duties
- Supervising work that has been set in accordance with the school policy
- Managing the behaviour of pupils while they are undertaking this work to ensure a constructive environment
- Responding to any questions from pupils about processes and procedures
- Dealing with any immediate problems or emergencies according to the school’s policies and procedures
- Collecting any completed work after the lesson and returning it to the appropriate teacher
- Reporting back as appropriate using the school’s agreed referral procedures on the behaviour of pupils during the class, and any issues arising
How to become a Cover Supervisor
4myschools have placed many Cover Supervisors across many schools and we know exactly what schools look for in this role:
- Have some experience working with children
- Have some experience supporting children on a one-to-one basis
- Be confident with your behaviour management techniques
- Be flexible; every day will be different
- Enjoy being with young people
- A sense of humour
If you would like to be informed as soon as a new job opportunity is available, please register or sign in to subscribe to job alerts via Updatedge to ensure you never miss our latest roles. The easiest way to register with 4myschools is to upload your CV by clicking the register button below.
Alternatively, why not call us on 01245 353 808 to be able to speak to an experienced, local consultant who will be able to have an initial conversation with you and provide you with honest advice about starting your teaching career.
View our Teaching Jobs
Permanent Teaching Jobs
Give yourself the time to progress and expand your potential within permanent teaching jobs.
Supply Teaching Jobs
Work with lots of different children at different levels in their development within supply teaching jobs.
Secondary School Teaching Jobs
Find perfect Secondary school teaching jobs, whether it’s a supply, fixed-term or permanent role.
TA & Learning Support Jobs
Kickstart your teaching career or gain valuable classroom experience through teaching assistant jobs.